Friday, 25 October 2013

Day -5: The plotting, the planning and the panicking


It's only really just hit how few days I have left before this little experiment commences. That's fine though... isn't it? I hope so.

Since signing up for NaNo about a month ago, I've made some interesting developments. I haven't gone into this first year uprepared and set to wing it when November 1st rolls around of course, nor have I decided on a plot a few weeks ago and planned furiously this whole time. I'm writing an idea that's been with me for a long while and has become quite dear to me so dosen't that put me in a worse position then those previous two options? Possibly. I have less margin for error. I want to do this right which means I can't just forget the whole thing and move on if it goes terribly wrong. Well, I could, but it would be a painful seperation of author and idea. Plus, my characters would hate me and verbally berate me in my mind for days. But let us not dwell on that.

On to those developments I have made. Firstly, I got myself a mentor, and she is brilliant. Practically my twin. She's also been incredibly helpful and supportive in just the few short weeks I've known her. There's no doubt in my mind that, if I manage to get to that gigantuan word goal, she will be one of the main reasons why. I've also been exploring the forums, an act of development in itself. There are questionaires aplenty, direct questions to apply to your character and story and brilliant discussions on what makes a novel good or bad.

Along with that, in asking for a little help with novel naming, I was forced to adress a massive plot hole in my narrative. Or at least, it was a plot hole that I'd generally explained, but not in enough detail to be understandable. It made me sit down, think about it, fathom it out and WRITE IT DOWN. I've had difficulty with the actual writing part before. Ironic really, now I think about it. So far, so good right? Hopefully.

I'll leave a few of my question responces here over the next couple of days. In the mean time, let's keep it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment